The Night Before Transport….and all through the houses…..

We have had a busy Spring and Summer…that is the collective “we”. I actually haven’t done any of the physical work, just juggling checkbooks, cooking occasionally and trying to keep the larder stocked.

All the work was begun by Allie and Michael. It became clear to ALL of us that we needed more help after the frame for the barn was up. Time to call in reinforcements! The only one semi-available was our 21 year old Grandson, Tony. So a call was made, a plea was made and money for transportation sent and Tony arrived to help put up the rest of the barn with Michael and Allie.

The heat arrived in the Midwest as the sides were going up on the barn, so the challenges of farming began. They began work at 6 am many mornings so they could be done working by noon. The walls and roof were completed over the following weeks and then Michael set to building Dutch doors for the three outside openings for the girl’s stalls. They took time, and the challenges of painting them with a neighborhood cat walking over wet white paint onto red background, leaving tiny white paw print signatures.

The following weeks saw the doors hung, paddocks secured, big sliding doors put up, electric lines buried, gates built and then we needed to start the fine tuning. We found good hay in Missouri at Casa del Paca. We made the trip via a circuitous way around the construction outside of St Louis and found our way to Casa del Paca meeting Tonja and Mark on a hot August afternoon.

The drive home with 80 bales of hay proved to be quite interesting, considering that none of us had pulled a load of hay before in our lives. So when we were driving down the road and a car pulled up beside us making wide motions with his arms, and pointing upward and then making a box….we knew that we had lost a bale on the highway. LOL!  Gave one up on the road to insure a safe trip home evidently.

So here we are, on the eve of bringing 4 of our alpacas home to Fallengründ Alpacas from Alpacas of Indian Point Hills, just in time for National Alpaca Open Barn days next weekend.

We are all a bit nervous and very excited. We are as ready as we can be. Ace, Hope, Mousse, and Zorro (or as Michael calls him “Z”) will be home by tomorrow evening.

I will try and be more faithful in writing as our adventure really begins now.

About Lynne

My husband and I are Baby Boomers who live in Central Illinois. We are embarking on a new adventure with one of our kids, Alexis and our Grandchildren, Pete and Maddie. After falling in love with alpacas, we purchased three, two adult females (one is pregnant) and a 2 month old male. This is our story.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply